I have devised this list of feelings and emotion which expands on the “negative emotions” given in the feeling wheel. It is just a simple way of working towards helping you to be clear in your mind about what you are going through when you have experienced a loss of any kind.
Understanding and recognising your emotions is important for your well-being. They are your body’s ways of telling you about what is going on. For example, if someone stolen an item of you, you may feel sad or angry.
This could be the loss of a loved one through death, an end of a relationship, loss of a job, loss of identity, child or children leaving home. Even the loss of your own childhood.
This is beneficial as it will help you to talk through your feelings with a kind listening ear. Some of the benefits of this are:
- it could help you to understand yourself a bit more.
- The more you understand your feelings, you will understand your emotional responses better, thus making it easier it is to deal with life’s challenges as you will understand why something impacts you in a particular way.
- You could use it for yourself or to support a loved one who is struggling with their emotions to work out exactly what they are feeling
- Understanding your feelings and emotions is the first step towards learning how to deal with them in a healthy way
- You would then help you to learn how to ask for what you need. You would be clearer about what you want. Also, those listening, would be clear about what you need as well. In other words, it would help improve your communication skills.
- Understanding your emotions more will help you to be a better listener.
The chart includes four basic negative emotions where most of us could identify with most of the time: Anger Shame Sad Fear
I have also including other feelings that you may relate to that doesn’t fit under those headings.
Physically – what is happening for you physically. What affects your feelings and emotions also affects our bodies.
Demeanour is about how you are with other people. How you are coming across.
Thank you for reading. I hope you got something from it.
If you need help, do get in touch. I offer a free 15 minute consultation.